Thursday, March 8, 2012

With Great Power...


After the disappointing performance of the ISO 2, it was difficult to get excited about reviewing another generic black/red Jordan Brand offering quirkily named Flight the Power (FTP).  With that said, the results may be tingling to the senses…

Sue me...
Aesthetics: 6
To quote Oompa Loompa, I don’t like the look of it.

Not the sharpest looking pair of J's...
In contrast to the sleek, aerodynamic profile of the shoe, the nubuck toe-box is disturbingly wide.  As for the mesh quarter panel which reveals the TPU webbing underneath, it reminds me of a certain arachnid superhero.  I know that JB is trying to give the FTP a unique look, but perhaps they tried a little too hard this time.  The tongue and medial heel of the shoe reminds me of the Converse Wade 1, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing except it’s just not the most original design.  Lastly, the shade of red on the patent leather looks more candy than angry bull.

Tell me this does not look like a prototype of the Converse Wades!
However, one redeeming factor is that the FTP appears to look progressively better in non-nubuck colorways:

This is a much more intriguing colorway with patent leather toe.

Ditto!
Ankle Support: 7

No real complaints here.  The asymmetrical collar allows for optimal range of motion in the ankle without sacrificing support.  It is markedly less restrictive than the ISO 2 which employs a traditional mid cut.

It's never a good sign when the sole looks better than the shoe...
Traction: 7

Traditional herringbone sole never goes awry.  I actually play-tested these on a moist court and it still held up remarkably well.  No XDR on these, which is a bit of a surprise to me since the ISO 2 had them.  Don’t lose sleep over its absence though, as I have yet to come across any empirical evidence to prove XDR actually lasts longer.


Comfort: 7

Even though it’s just injected Phylon in the midsole, the FTP is significantly more comfortable than the ISO 2 with Zoom Air in its heel and fore-foot.  The FTP provided quick take-offs and soft landings every time.  I am now a true believer of Max Air in the heel.  Guess my body has just outgrown (i.e. outweigh) the protection Zoom Air provides.

Doubles as a lantern...
FTP also offers a much freer fit without OD-ing on synthetic leather.  The mesh quarter panel helps tremendously in this regard.  Despite hating on the look of the TPU webbing, it actually does work.  The webbing extends from the lace holders, forming a skeletal inner bootie which cradles and locks the foot down.  I didn’t feel it when I first laced them up, but after 4 hours of play without any blisters or soreness in my feet from lateral chafing, I became a believer.

Responsiveness: 7

The outsole was just the right thickness and I was able to have a very decent feel of the court.  It allowed me to move where I want, when I want and how I want.  The FTP never got in the way of my game and I never had to worry about them.  I didn’t even have to re-lace them after playing for 4-hours straight!  Also, the flex grooves set near the heel and forefoot of the sole made the shoe more malleable to run in.

Durability: 7

I only played in them once, but the shoe is solidly constructed with quality materials which don’t appear to be breaking up anytime soon.  I would recommend that you be careful with the mesh, because as much as it resembles Flywire, Flywire it is not.  Take care not to snag or tear it, but unless you’re playing with guys who put razor blades in their shoes, you should be fine.

Weight: 7

With the mesh and minimalist TPU webbing, the FTP looks lighter than it actually weighs.  It’s a little bit clunkier than you’d expect, yet still comparable to most similarly priced basketball sneaker on the market.

Overall: B

I had a fun outing with the FTP, but something was missing.  Sure, it easily outperformed the ISO 2.  Yes, I was blister-free and my sole thanked the tacky TPU webbing.  My feet were able to breathe through the mesh quarter panels and yet were protected within the asymmetrically-cut collars.  Even the candy-colored red grew on me and no one has to know that these shoes are called “Flight the Power”.

And yet, something was missing.

Jumpmen...
I never felt excited to play in the FTP.  Don’t get me wrong, the FTP performed admirably, but it never wowed me with any particular feature.  JB did a good job with the TPU web lacing system, but despite its cosmetic resemblance to your friendly neighborhood superhero, it felt more like his mild-mannered alter-ego.  Nobody really took much notice of the shoes I was wearing, not even me!  They.  Were.  Just.  Shoes.

Just like the ISO 2, they failed to resonate with me like a pair of sneakers that bear the Jordan insignia should.

Perhaps I have become spoiled by being so heavily invested in the sneaker culture.  Perhaps I am being unfair to expect stellar releases every single time.  Perhaps I am forgetting that these are entry-level sneakers.  Perhaps I am just asking too much.

But with great power comes great responsibility and JB has immense power to induct more people into the sneaker culture.  The effort starts with the ISO 2’s and FTP’s of the product line-up.

JB, it’s time to get our senses tingling!

(中文版,請到這裡。)

No comments:

Post a Comment