Thursday, November 17, 2011

Change for a Dollar?

(中文版,請到這裡。)

“I asked LeBron for change for a $1 and only got 75 cents back because he doesn’t have a 4th quarter.”

Ha-freakin’-ha.  I admit I laughed at every jape made against the King last post-season.  I also confess that I was more than displeased by his Grace’s nationally televised “decision”.

Alas, the wise man shall not dwell in the past, for he learns from history to author a better future.  If my experience with the Nike Air Max Ambassador IV is at all analogous of things to come, next season (sigh...) will promise a more devastating LeBron.

Miami Dolphins are SO much more colorful than Hong Kong ones...
1ST QUARTER

My randomly-assigned teammate shoots for possession while everyone has their eyes on my feet.  Who can blame them?  Inspired by the Miami Dolphins, the orange, black and canon dresses the Ambassador IV in an understated yet unique colorway.  The exaggerated toe-cap with LeBron’s crown-logo on the vamp gives the shoe a powerful and focused silhouette.

Thick-headed...
The heel counter is another attention grabber with a fierce yet regal dual-tone lion motif and orange flare for eyes.  The lighter colored areas are a sand-paper like material which strengthens the shoe against abrasions.

Look into my eyes...
Unfortunately, even my teammate was distracted and promptly misses the shot.  The possession is lost.

30 seconds later, we regain possession by way of an intercepted pass.  The steal came easily enough as the lower-than-mid design of the A4’s gave me unrestricted range of motion, albeit at a sacrifice to ankle support.  I laced up to the highest eyelet, but it still did not feel as secure as one would expect.  The XDR outsole provided good traction on a dirty street court to let me dart quickly and keep the offense earnest.  

Sole fly...
2ND QUARTER

In one particular play, I had a considerable size advantage over my defensive matchup.  Channeling my inner LeBron, I tucked in my core and barreled past for an overpowering lay-up just like King James has done against so many smaller defenders.  The approach was responsive and comfortable with Zoom Air in the forefoot, but the landing on Max Air in the heel was a bit jarring for my knees.   I’ve always preferred Zoom Air and never really warmed up to Max Air, so my assessment may be biased.

I was having an off shooting day, but I was finally able to get a step-back jumper to fall against a slower defender.  The traction continued to serve me well here as I was able to plant my right foot firmly on the ground before popping backwards to get open. 

I'm so vein...
Rising up for the shot, I noticed that the A4’s are light for a LeBron sneaker with a generous serving of Flywire on the lateral side and a minimalist outsole.  I don’t think it takes away any weight, but the carbon-fiber pattern on the Flywire definitely adds to the distinctive look.  This pattern extends into the orange-bordered Swoosh which gives the design continuity.

3RD QUARTER

While resting on the sidelines, I had a chance to reflect on the past two quarters of play.  I played hard on both ends of the court, but it was on the defensive end that I really contributed.  I was able to grab a couple of rebounds and use my size to get close-range buckets since my jump-shot has all but deserted me.

Regardless of what I needed to do on the court, the Ambassadors supported my efforts.

MAX AIR surprise...
Looking down at them, the sand-paper area on the toe was indeed scuffed, while the heel was unscathed.  The fit also became looser than before, but I did not feel the urge to re-lace.  It felt roomy yet still protective.  More surprisingly I felt no discomfort in my left knee which was susceptible to pain during extended play.  Mayhap the Max Air heel unit protected me from myself more than I gave it credit for!

With that positive self-assessment, I felt ready for the 4th.

4TH QUARTER

I didn’t have a 4th quarter. 

Yes, my jump-shot left me but that wasn’t it.  No, I wasn’t tired and my knees felt great.  Yes, I know we had a big lead going into the 4th.  No, I definitely did not defer too much to my teammates.

I didn’t have a 4th quarter simply because I just didn’t have any teammates!  It was getting late and everyone had to leave.

All except one…

Determined not to step off the court without a 4th, I challenged the man to a game of 1 on 1.  I wasn’t kidding when I said my jump-shot left me so I had to continuously drive the lane for layups.  The dusty court definitely took its toll on the A4’s traction and my relentless pounding inside have stressed the cushioning to its limits.  However, it was enough to pull out a convincing W.

All black everything...
POST-GAME

Rain began to drizzle.  It was a long walk home as the A4’s cushioning did not feel as springy as when I first put them on.  Perhaps it was just my aching muscles.  The grip on the soles was worsened by the wet roads.  Or it might have been my tired feet.

It mattered not. 

The Ambassador IV’s delivered an all-around performance worthy of LeBron James’ on-court abilities.  It may not be built for marathon basketball sessions, but it performed admirably throughout the game, including the decisive 4th quarter.

And that is all that matters.

Sewed-on logo patch on the sole FTW...
Ankle Support: 7
Traction: 7
Comfort: 8
Responsiveness: 8
Durability: 7
Weight: 8
Overall: B+

Mean streets of Southorn...


5 comments:

  1. these don't have the zoom air cushioning, just phylon in the forefoot and max air in the heel

    ReplyDelete
  2. @sixgun: Funny you should mention that because a lot of people have brought that up. I assure you however, that the A4's DO have ZOOM in the forefoot. Perhaps I should do a live dissection video to prove it, what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, i think a dissection will clear things up. Nice shoes and great review though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @sixgun: Hmm... I might do one after I get a few more wears from these. Thanks for reading and stay tuned for the next review! It's gonna be a pair of unnumbered Jordans ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah thanks also, I got the lebron ambassador 3 and they're also good for balling outdoor, very durable, and I got them on sale.

    ReplyDelete